Thursday, August 12, 2004

Honesty is the best policy??

Is honesty the best policy always?? well it dint prove that good for my friend today.

My friend had to shop (ok ok i know we've shopped a lot last weekend..but what can I say..looks like this is shopping week:o)) and we were getting late...so kinda hurried.
I was approaching a signal and it turned amber, by the time i passed it, it was red, which apparently means I broke the signal, and there comes our mama (traffic police) to block me. I parked the car, showed him the license. He walked further; I stayed in my car not realizing that he wanted me to bribe him. He came to the car and said ok...Rs 200/- fine for breaking the signal.
I genuinely took out Rs.200/- (since its my mistake) and asked for receipt. He was astonished and questioned me about the money; I too surprisingly said it’s the fine money he asked for. Not very sure of what to do next ,he went the other side and returned in a moment, to tell that I'll have to wait for 5 min until he gets the receipt book from the station.
While I was wondering what kinda policeman he is without any receipt book on duty (which I could see in his hands), He asked me my details and then told me to go and returned to the crossing to his duties.
To confirm (I was surprised, how could I escape after breaking law) I got out of my car and asked if he would send notice or would get receipt? The surprised (or frustrated?) policeman replied "I said to go..am leaving u, don't do it again"

It was a pleasant surprise and I returned, all happy and gay.

Luckily we reached Shoppers Stop in time and she picked up some stuff. We reached the billing counter expecting a bill of around Rs.2000/- and it showed Rs.1498/-, I excalimed ..hey thatz cool, how much was that trouser for, the sales guy said that this one has a discount so its 1498/-, then the other sales guy checked and said..ohh nope its incorrect, its 2000/- am sorry no discount on this one....and my friend gazed at me. She had to shell out Rs.500/- more.

Well!!!! The honesty policy suited me but not her.

I feel bad, sorry Menon Ali D'costa!!

No comments: