Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Holi

Everytime such festivals come and i realize again and again that wow our country is so colorful, and I miss it so much. I think the festival of colors is so much required out of India, especially here in UK. All I see on streets, offices everywhere is blue, black, grey, white, brown. I do understand they always want to match their clothes with the weather, but I just wished that they could pick up holi from us like how we picked up so many things from them, drinking chai, the language, everything...even the houses kids draw in school are actually the houses here isnt? Atleast one colorful day.

nevertheless the Indians here in London, do add color(No am not talking about the brown color here :-) ) especially on holi. I visited the temple(yeah that seems the only place where I see indians smile at each other) and could see beautiful indian gals in colorful saris and dresses. The temple was so beautiful and colorful and the deities were dressed colorful too and everybody inside had color on their face, infact while returning in the bus, there were all indians with some color on their face...and for a moment I felt as if I am in India and wished like playing Antakshari :-). ( all indians in bus make me want to play antakshari for some reason). It was fun, I played holi with housemates(first generation British Indians) on sunday to continue the colorful Indian tradition here too. It was fun. I missed my friends though. Last holi I had spent with so many kids, and it was very special.

I missed running behind friends, behind mom and coloring their face , I missed my mom saying, get out of the house...no color here, no no..we just cleaned the house, dont wet it, I missed my mom forewarning to remove old clothes and keep so that I could wear them on holi, I missed my bro's factory color and silver :-), I missed the pichkaris.

Hope you had a nice holi too.

1 comment:

desi witch said...

god! i miss holi so badly!!!! it's the one holiday that makes me homesick enough to cry.